This is a really old recipe of mine. I first made it with my sister back when we were teenagers and edited it as we went along, eventually ending up with this recipe. The chocolate mouse is made with avocados, so some people might be a bit skeptical at first. But you've got to try this one, I promise your mind will be blown away. It's so rich and chocolatey and super easy to make. Frankie wasn't a huge fan at first, (that's ok, more for me) but she ended up scooping all the chocolate off my piece. She probably won't touch it tomorrow, kids are so damn unpredictable.
Healthy Chocolate Squares
- 1 cup Desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup Cashews
- 1/2 cup Roasted almonds
- 6 pitted Medjool Dates
- 1/2 tsp Salt (optional but recommended)
- 2 Avocados
- 1 ripe Banana
- 1/2 cup Coco powder
- 2-3 tbs Rice malt syrup
- Soak the dates in boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blend the desiccated coconut and nuts together for 30 seconds. You want the nuts to have a few chunky bits.
- Drain the dates and add to the nuts mixture and blend till it clumps together.
- Spoon onto a small baking tray and squash down either with the back of a spoon, or your hands.
- Place in the fridge and make the chocolate mouse.
- Clean your blender, then blend the avos, banana and coco powder together.
- Then add the rice malt syrup. Taste between each tablespoon as you might only need 2 depending on taste.
- Spoon on top of the nut base and place back in the fridge for 30 minutes, then slice into small squares.
Store in the fridge for up to 1 week or in the freezer for 3 months.