This is a delicious treat that's a perfect mix between creamy and a tart zing. Sweetened with rice syrup and dates, it's perfect for an afternoon snack or even as a sweet breakfast.
Buttermilk Berry Bites
- 150g Butter
- 3 tbs cup Rice syrup
- 12 Dates (soaked in boiling water for 5 minutes)
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 2 Eggs
- 150ml Buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cup Flour (sifted)
- 100g frozen Raspberries (frozen keeps their shape better)
- 1 tsp ground Cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 200°C and line a baking tin with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter, rice syrup and soaked dates together till it's nice and smooth. (It's fine if the dates are still in chunks).
- Then add the eggs, one at a time and mix it in well.
- Mix in half the buttermilk and flour until smooth, then repeat this step with the remaining buttermilk and flour.
- Gently fold in the frozen berries and spoon the mixture into your prepared baking tin and sprinkle with the ground cinnamon.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes and let it cool in the tray for 10 minutes before removing and cutting into slices.
Store in the fridge for up to 3 days. Can be frozen, but best eaten straight away.