Spinach and ricotta is my ultimate. It's just the perfect combo, and I feel as though my kids are getting some much needed greens. This recipe does make a lot, and I mean a lot of rolls. But, they are perfect for freezing or you could just half the recipe if you like. I prefer freezing a big batch so I have a quick meal or snack ready in 20 minutes. Makes 60
Baby Spinach Rolls
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves Garlic (crushed)
- 500g Frozen chopped Spinach
- 300g Fresh Ricotta (needs to be fresh as the prepackaged ones are too sweet)
- 200g Soft Feta
- 5 Springs of fresh Dill (chopped)
- 1/3 cup Breadcrumbs
- 4 sheets of Frozen Puff Pastry
- 1/4 cup Sesame seeds
- 1 Egg
- Preheat you oven to 200°C.
- Cook the onions and garlic in a large pot with some olive oil till it's translucent in colour.
- Add the frozen spinach and cook for another 5-8 minutes.
- Add salt and chopped dill and mix in well.
- Turn off the heat, then add the fresh ricotta, feta and breadcrumbs and mix together.
- Cut each pastry sheet in half and seperate.
- Spoon the spinach mixture in a small line along the bottom of the pastry sheet. Make sure you're working on the long side.
- Roll the pastry till the mixture is completely covered.
- Slice the roll into roughly 6 pieces.
- Repeat till you have finished the mixture.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl, brush each roll and sprinkle with a few sesame seeds.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
Store in a container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.